As used in this policy, “personal information” means information that would allow a party to identify you such as, for example, your name, address or location, telephone number, or email address.
- Privacy policies and data collection and use policies should be human readable, comprehensive, and easy to locate;
Only the minimum amount of information reasonably necessary to provide you with services should be collected and maintained, and only for so long as reasonably needed or required;
- Information you provide through our Websites, or that we gather as a result of your use of our Websites or Gravatar services, should not be used for marketing or advertising purposes, nor should it be provided voluntarily (without your permission) to anyone else unless required; and
- If AvPR is required to provide a third party with your personal information (whether by subpoena or otherwise), then provided we have collected and retained an email address for you, AvPR will use reasonable means to notify you promptly of that event, unless prohibited by law or AvPR is otherwise advised not to notify you on the advice of legal counsel.
Personal Information AvPR Collects
We may collect personal information at several places on the Websites, including without limitation:
- in connection with your selection of one of our licenses or legal tools including, without limitation, AvPR, or the Public Domain Mark;
- when you provide us with your personal information such as by sending an email to us or signing up to receive updates from AvPR;
- when you subscribe to one of our email discussion lists or register to establish a user account on any of our Websites;
- when you purchase merchandise;
- when you join the AvPR network through our Clubbing Connection (CCN) Community, and when you thereafter create/edit your profile page, identify your content, share your story, and/or establish a AvPR Gravatar; and
- when you provide personal information in connection with your participation in any of the forums we make available to that community.
What AvPR does with Personal Information
License/Tool Selection. We use the personal information you provide to us as part of your selection of one of our licenses/tools to provide you the RDF, html, and the Uniform Resource Locator that correspond to the license/tool you selected. Some older versions of the license chooser enable AvPR to send you this information via email. In those cases, your email address is expunged after this email has been successfully sent. We may use all of this information to maintain license usage data.
Emails and Newsletters. We use the personal information you provide to us when you send us emails or sign up to receive updates from AvPR in order to respond to your request – for example, to reply to your email or to send you communications about AvPR news and campaigns.
When you subscribe to updates from us, your email address is sent to and stored in a database hosted on AvPRs’ servers that can only be accessed by AvPR staff and contractors. When you subscribe to one of our email discussion lists, your name and email address is sent to and stored by (1) AvPR, or (2) another service with which AvPR has engaged to provide email support (such as Constant Contact). Personal information submitted as part of our email discussion lists is used for the purpose of managing the discussion lists. Your name and email address will typically be visible to other list participants when you correspond on the list and to the general public in the discussion archives. All emails sent to the discussions lists are publicly archived.
Purchases. When you purchase merchandise via our shopping cart system, your personal information will be handled depending on which option you choose.
- If you purchase merchandise from the AvPR store, your personal information will be used for the purpose of sending you the items you purchased. If you sign up to receive updates from AvPR when you check out from the store, we will use your personal information to send you communications about AvPR news and campaigns.
The CCN Community. When you join our network you provide personal information to create your account and establish a password and profile, and to create a Gravatar. We use that personal information to establish and maintain your accounts, provide you with the features we provide for account holders, to interact with your Gravatar account, and for the purpose of contacting you about upcoming news and events relevant to AvPR.
Participating in Our Community: Registered Users. When you register to obtain a user account on any of the Websites (any such person, a “Registered User”), including but not limited to the AvPR Clubbing Connection service, you may be asked to provide personal information to create your account and establish a password and profile. Though the first and last name fields are required, providing your legal name and/or email address is optional. If you do provide your email address, it will allow us to send you your password if you should forget it. We encourage you to use an alias or nickname if you are not comfortable providing your legal name. If you voluntarily provide your legal name in connection with any content you submit to any Website, your name may be associated with the content you contributed. We will also use that personal information to establish and maintain your membership and provide you with the features we provide for Registered Users.
Disclosures of Personal Information
In general, it is not AvPR’s practice to disclose personal information to third parties. We may share personal information in two instances:
First, AvPR may share personal information with our contractors and service providers in order to maintain, enhance, or add to the functionality of the Websites or the Gravatar service.
If AvPR is required to provide a third party with your personal information (whether by subpoena or otherwise), then provided we have collected and retained an email address for you, AvPR will use reasonable means to notify you promptly of that event, unless prohibited by law or AvPR is otherwise advised not to notify you on the advice of legal counsel.
Security of Personal Information Collected via the Websites; Gravatar
AvPR has implemented reasonable measures to protect against unauthorized access to and unlawful interception or processing of personal information that AvPR stores and controls. However, no website can fully eliminate security risks. Third parties may circumvent our security measures to unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications. We will post a reasonably prominent notice to the Websites if any such security breach occurs.
Data Usage Policy: Non Personal Browsing and Site Usage Information
Our Data Usage Policy covers how we maintain and use information about you that is collected by our Websites and server logs, including when you log into a website using your AvPR Gravatar.
Non Personal Browsing Information We Collect. When you use the Websites, our servers (which may be hosted by a third party service provider) may collect information indirectly and automatically (through, for example, the use of your “IP address”) about your activities while visiting the Websites and information about the browser you are using. In addition, whenever you use your AvPR Gravatar to log into a website, our servers (which, again, may be hosted by a third party service provider) keep a log of the websites you visit and when you visit them.
No Linking. We do not intentionally link browsing information or information from the Gravatar server logs to the personal information you submit to us. We use this information for internal purposes only, such as to help understand how the Websites are being used, to improve our Websites and the features we provide, and for systems administration purposes. AvPR may use a third party analytics provider to help us collect and analyze non personal browsing information through operation of our Websites for those same purposes.
No Access. As a provider of the Gravatar avatar service, AvPR cannot access your web-based account tied to our Gravatar service, and cannot log in on behalf of any of its Gravatar users to any of the accounts they have accessed using their AvPR Gravatar.
No Retention. AvPR discards non-personal browsing information from our server logs once we have used the information for the limited purposes noted above, under “No Linking.”
Notice. If AvPR is required to provide a third party with your non personal browsing information, then AvPR will use reasonable means to notify you promptly of that event, unless AvPR is prohibited by law from doing so or is otherwise advised not to notify you on the advice of legal counsel.
Reorganization or Spin-Offs
Special Note to International Users
[4nfent @ gmail . com].
Effective Date: 23 August 2015